The month of Ramadan is the most precious in the Islamic calendar (Hijri) and it is obligatory for the Muslims to fast in the month of Ramadan. From the glorious qur’an, the scripture reads ‘Indeed, we sent the Qur’an down during the Night of Decree. And what can make you know what is the Night of Decree? The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months. The angels and the Spirit descend therein by permission of their Lord for every matter. Peace it is until the emergence of dawn’ [Quran 97:1-5]. Muslim belief the significance of the month include;
- Holy Quran was first revealed in the month of Ramadan.
- Fasting in the month of Ramadan is the fourth Pillar of Islam among the five.
- Fasting helps to attain Taqwa (performing of actions which please Allah and abstaining from those actions that displease Him).
- Ramadan is known to be the month of Quran. It is highly recommended in the Ramadan to read and study the Holy Quran and to share with others.
- The Night of Decree or The Night of Power (Laylat al-Qadr ) is in this month, which is better than a thousand months.
- In this Holy month, the gates of Paradise are opened, gates of Hell are closed and the devils are chained up.
- Umra’h (shorter/minor pilgrimage) in Ramadan is equivalent to Hajj (major pilgrimage).
- Muslims observe I’tikaaf (residing in the mosque for worship) in the Ramadan especially in the last 10 days of this Holy month.
- It is a very rewarding act in Ramadan to offer Iftaar (sunset meal to breakfast) to those who are fasting.
- It is also highly recommended to give Zakat (obligatory tax/donation – 2.5% of wealth/savings/assets) and Sadaqah (voluntary charity) in the Ramadaan.
- It is said in an authentic Hadith of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) that fasting in the Ramadan sincerely out of faith and in the hope of reward, we will be forgiven all our previous sins, provided the major sins are not committed.
Given the government of Ghana’s directive imposing a ban on all public gatherings like conferences, funerals, festivals, political rallies, Church services as well as congregational prayers at mosques since 16th March, 2020. The use of the media to engaged audience or followers although has been a practice, more attention has been placed on the media for dissemination since the outbreak of the novel COVID- 19. The Bawku Central MP who by himself is a Muslim and appreciates the growing benefit of the Holy Book as sacred from the above-enumerated benefits, secured ‘Tafseer Radio Air slots’ from his share of the common fund, everyday including weekends. Although the amount is undisclosed, it is still worthy of spending because the majority of the people of Bawku are Muslims and would benefit from the initiative. This would enable religious leaders, sheiks, and other Islamic scholars to carry out ‘Tafseer’ which is the science of explanation of the Qurān the sacred scripture of Islam, or Qurānic commentary.
The Muslim community is very much grateful to Hon. Mahama Ayariga to have seen the need to help the people of Bawku Municipality seek the face of Allah in this blessed month of Ramadan. The airtime slots have since been coordinated by Alhaji Mohammed Mashood a leading stakeholder, and a businessman in the Bawku Municipality.
By James Nana Tsiquaye